Friday, February 22, 2013

Put Yourself In Timeout

"Go to your room and think about the right way to use your words,"  I said to my daughter as I sent her to her room for a timeout.  I managed to keep a  low calm voice, but my heart was pounding and all I felt was anger.

With clenched teeth and tight fists I wondered why I have more trouble with this one child than the half dozen I used to care for in my home daycare.  She pouted down the hall and I had a Holy Spirit moment. 

"Put yourself in a time-out and pray," came a gentle whisper.

I sat down on my couch and poured out my heart to the Lord.  I told Him I was frustrated.  I asked Him for grace.  I prayed for Him to touch my daughter's heart.  Quite frankly, it was the best time-out I ever had.

When the timer beeped and I let her out, I was amazed at how God's spirit had worked in her heart and perhaps more importantly, mine.  A fresh flood of grace and love filled our home. 

My takeaway: Sometimes you just need to put yourself in a timeout and pray.

              Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.  Colossians 4:2


No comments:

Post a Comment