Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Mama Stack

Mama Stack prays like no one I know.  One moment she might pray eloquently with the grace of queen.  Another moment she prays with the intensity of a boxer, fighting the good fight of faith.  She cries out to the Lord with the neediness of a child crying for their Father.  She prays sweet, tender blessings of peace like a mother with a child.  Her tongue is like the pen of a ready writer quoting beautiful scriptures as she approaches the throne of grace.

Her relationship with God is a paradox.  She speaks to Him as a close friend, yet knows Him as the Creator and Judge, someone all-to magnificent to fully understand.  

She recently celebrated a birthday and when I think of  Psalm 92:12-15, I can't help but envision her as she ages. 

The righteous will flourish like a palm tree,
    they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon;
13 planted in the house of the Lord,
    they will flourish in the courts of our God.
14 They will still bear fruit in old age,
    they will stay fresh and green,
15 proclaiming, “The Lord is upright;
    he is my Rock, and there is no wickedness in him.”

Recently our church launched a mentoring program to connect younger women with older women, but  I didn't sign up for it.  It was not because I don't need mentoring.  Trust me, I need all the help I can get.  I didn't sign up because I live next to Mama Stack.  She's a Titus 2 woman in my life.  She is open and honest about her struggles.   She encourages me to keep on keeping on.  And in spite of her wisdom from a lifetime of living for God, raising babies and now welcoming grandchildren into the world, she remains humble.  She is flourishing.  She is fruitful.  She's staying fresh and still bearing fruit for the kingdom of God.  She's not perfect, but she knows that In Christ she is righteous.

Her generosity challenges me.  Her faith inspires me.  Her stories stretch me. Her love enriches me.  

Tonight we met at her house for prayer.  She shared her need for us to pray for her if we think about her.  She explained often when we think about someone, it's a prompting from the Lord to pray for them.
  
"If God brings someone to your mind, pray for them," she admonished. 

So today I am praying for Mama Stack.  May her legacy of faith and prayer endure throughout the generations of her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and beyond.  May the rest of her life be the best of her life.  Holy Spirit, continue to use her in ways that shock, amaze and delight her.  Fill her with renewed energy and vitality.  Pour your goodness and grace upon her.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment