Friday, September 27, 2013

Vacation Memories: Sea Turtles Follow the Light

Two massive sea turtles decorate the wall in my living room.  I bought them while shopping with my Aunt Connie.  It didn't take much for her to talk me into buying them.  Sea turtles  hatch in darkness on sandy beaches.   They emerge from their shells in the night.  Birds and crabs wait, ready for an opportunity to feed.  Few of these turtles will make it to the ocean.  The only saving grace for these tiny, majestic creatures is to follow the light of the moon.  The light of the moon reflecting on the water hope for survival.  If they fail to follow the light, death is imminent.

Because of the obvious spiritual parallel, I love the sea turtles on my wall and use them as a tool to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with others.  When we decided to visit Topsail Island, I began reading books about sea turtles to the children.  I explained how the loggerhead turtles often nest on the island we would be visiting.   They even have a sea turtle hospital.  I brought along several of the turtle books to the beach house.   We read them together again with the sound of the ocean waves crashing against the shore.

Then one morning, dozens of spectators gathered near our house.  There were camera crews, photographers and more spectators making their way to the ocean.   We went outside to see what all the fuss was about.  I gasped when I realized what was happening.  Sea turtles were being released from the turtle hospital back into the ocean.  A massive turtle, carried by 4 volunteers, was gently place into the water.  I stood in delight at the beauty of it all.  What are the chances of that happening?  1 in a 100?  1 in a 1,000?  1 in a 1,000,000? Salty tears of joy streamed down my face. 

God's goodness is beyond my comprehension.  The more I try to understand it, the more awestruck I become.  Standing there on the beach, I felt God speaking to me.  "Follow the light."

Lord, help me to fix my eyes on you,
~ gleaming, glittering. glowing, 
burning, illuminating, warming ~
LIGHT in a world of darkness.  
In Jesus' name, Amen.

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  John 8:12

No comments:

Post a Comment