Friday, September 27, 2013

Vacation Memories: Farm Fresh Eggs and Faith

Prayer, this constant awareness of God, changes things.  God cares about the details of our lives.  

My friend invited our family to come see her horses and other critters.  There were bunnies, hens, horses, kittens, dogs, guineas, guinea pigs and a pig.   My children were ecstatic.  It was better than a zoo visit because we could pet, hold and even ride.  The zoos tend to frown on such behavior.

As we were being shown around the property, we were invited to hunt for fresh eggs.  The owner showed the kids where to look.  They found one egg.  Then another and another.  



The owner looked a bit shocked.  She went on to explain that typically there were only 2 eggs because some of the hens were not mature enough to lay eggs.  Interestingly, there were three eggs today.  It was just enough for her to give each child and egg.   Some would call it a coincidence.  I call it a sacred reminder. 




Hebrews 11 speaks of faith.  It alludes to the process of meshing the sacred and secular.  We are reminded faith, this holy hope, can infuse every aspect of our lives.  I can't help but think of Hebrews 11:1 which says faith is the substance of things hoped for.  Were my kids hoping to each find an egg?  Did God reward their faith?  I don't know for sure.  But I do know I was hoping for a special time with my family.  And finding 3 farm fresh eggs that evening on the Carolina coast was very special to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment