Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Vacation Memories: Foosball and Open Eyes

 While on vacation, the kids had a blast playing foosball.  Unfortunately, the foosball was actually a ping pong ball.  After hours of constant banging, the ping pong ball was crushed.  I made a mental note to run to the store a grab a package of balls later.

The following morning I took a stroll on the beach.  The foosball was the last thing on my mind as I witnessed a glorious sunrise.  The ocean waves crashing on the shore were the perfect soundtrack to the marvelous, colorful display in the sky.  The old hym "How Great Thou Art" played in my mind.  

Then, I just happened to look down.  To my amazement, I saw a small ball that had been washed ashore.  Upon closer inspection, I realized it was a foosball! Needless to say, I overwhelmed and thankful.  I was also struck by how I miss gifts God has for me. Too often I live my life in darkness with my eyes shut tightly.  He wants to give me just what I need, but I refuse to see. Opening my eyes to God's goodness enables me to see the blessings he has lavished upon me and receive the gifts He has given me. 

Lord, please don't let my heart become calloused.  Give me eyes to see.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

 For this people’s heart has become calloused;
    they hardly hear with their ears,
    and they have closed their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
    hear with their ears,
    understand with their hearts
and turn, and I would heal them.

Matthew 13:15

No comments:

Post a Comment