Friday, October 18, 2013

Spouses

I picked up an great prayer list yesterday.  "Pray for Your Child's Future Spouse"  the title read.   The words penetrated my heart.  Stewardship is much of what parenting is all about.  God gives you children to love, nurture and train.  They grow up.  They leave.  It's the way it's meant to be.  I know this, yet somehow the idea of praying for spouses for my children feels painful.  As I read and murmur the words on paper, I feel cold and dry.  Lifeless.  I realize this is not a heartfelt prayer.

I think for a moment about my husband.  Over 12 years we've shared joys and pains together.  We've grown together.  We've changed together.  We've laughed together.  The warmth, affection, respect and loyalty we share has been a sustaining force.  We've challenged one another to seek truth.  We've known one another deeply.  I want this for my children.
I love listening to him play the guitar at the end of a long day.

I try again, uttering words of life and grace for my children and their future partners.  Better?  Yes.  Heartfelt?  Almost.  Maybe I'm just not quite ready to imagine the great plans God has in store for them.

Lord, help me to remember my children don't belong to me.  Give me the strength to keep praying.  Give me grace to guide and give me wisdom to see your plan.  In Jesus' name, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment