Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Walk the Walk

    A sweet friend of mine sent me a letter today and I was touched by her words.  She explained how she found herself telling someone, "I'll pray for you."  Later, she was convicted when she realized her words were simply a sentimental Christian expression and she didn't plan to pray.
   Needless to say, she's not alone.  I too have felt the conviction of saying I will pray and failing to follow through.  For me, a lot of it boils down to having a plan to pray.  I like to carry my prayer journal in my purse.  This enables me to write out requests, lest I forget.  And trust me, if I don't write it down, I will forget.  It also serves as a reminder to ask a friend how things are going with that particular matter of prayer.  My prayer notebook app on my phone has also been a huge help in reminding me to pray for important people and things. 
   In Quiet Talks on Prayer, Samuel Dickey reminds us of the importance of praying:

The great people of the earth today are the people who pray. 
 I do not mean those who talk about prayers;
 nor those who say they believe in prayer; 
nor yet those who can explain about prayer; 
but I mean those who take time and pray.  
They have not time.  It must be taken from something else. 
 This something else is important.  Very important, and pressing than prayer.  
There are people that put prayer first, and group other items in life's schedule around and after prayer.

I feel like Samuel understood the plight I face day after day.  Important and pressing things scream for my attention, particularly when I commit myself to prayer.  Overcoming the urgent to do what's important is a daily battle I face. 

Lord, help me to be someone who prays even in the midst of important, pressing things that must be done.  In  Jesus' name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment