Monday, April 8, 2013

Update on 1,000 hours

Perhaps you're curious about my 1,000 hour challenge.  So far I have logged 117 total hours in my prayer journal.  An interesting phenomenon occurred around hour 50.  I quit keeping really accurate tabs on time.  There are two primary reasons this happened.

First, I began enjoying the presence of the Lord so much that I would forget when I started and try to linger in His presence as I began my day, carrying the conversation on with Him as I began laundry, swept or took care of other mundane tasks. 

Secondly, I am now praying more through out the day.  Using my prayer notebook app, I might pray while waiting for the kids or an appointment.  Hearing a firetruck might prompt me to pray for divine help for the firefighters. 

Funny story:  I had to go to the DMV.  Usually I dread the lines, the wait and the entire experience.  This time I was excited.  My husband would watch the children so I could go alone.  I had already predetermined I would pray for the people in my notebook as I waited in line.  No long line would steal my time today.  I would advance the kingdom of God in that atrocious line today and I was happy about it.  When I walked into the DMV there was NO wait.  I kid you not.  NO line at all.  I laughed to myself and was in and out of the DMV in less than 5 minutes.  So much for praying.  I guess the devil got word of my plan and made everyone else run late!  Just one  unexpected benefit of committing to a prayerful life.

A few other benefits I have noticed since I started this challenge are:
*A new found pleasure in conversing with God
*A deeper love for the Bible
*An intensified compassion for people
*Greater peace
*An awareness of God at work in my life and the lives of others

My Pastor read this scripture from 1 Peter 4:7-8 
The end of all things is near.  Therefor be clear minded and self-controlled so you can pray.  Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins. 
 I am still mulling over these verses from last Wednesday night.  Expect more thoughts from me in the future about this verse.  




No comments:

Post a Comment